My dear blog serves as an archive for my work.Please go to my instagram page for up to date images.

My photo
I am an artist living and working in the West of Ireland. I make drawings,clothes,ZINES and artists books,short films and beloved objects. I have a stall at the Saturday Galway Market (from early february approx through till the last saturday before christmas) ...... if you would like to contact me further please email queenjaneosullivan (at)gmail(dot)com Thanks for visiting !

Monday, May 18, 2009

does work change over the years ?






all above work 2003-4
I wasn't looking at my work properly for a long time, I sort of peeked at it sometimes but mostly disowned it and kept moving on to the next thing to do. I must say that as I have started to see the work as a whole,like a map,a connected body of directions...... its easier to see what is working and what is just distraction,or temporary.
I have been looking back at my old work as I prepare for my iminent degree show ,and although I will not be including it ,as it is too removed from my current concerns,I do feel it has some interest in its subject matter. I may revisit some elements of this work ,I like drawing so much and I feel I have a lot more that I can say in this medium.
I have mixed feelings about studying for so long , the part-time aspect is extremely time consuming ,for me over 7 years omg ! ..and its frustrating because while I know that I am fully immersed in my work and it feels extremely real ,it remains largely hidden.
Art is a strange affliction, I cannot stop ,it has meaning for me, but maybe very little meaning outside of me (a fear at times ,at others an acceptance) I don't know ,I will keep on going until the wheels fall of the cart and try to get better at what it is I have chosen to do.

2 comments:

nath said...

that's so eloquent and interesting. i love that you see the work as a map. it's like life then i guess. one thing leads to another....

Jane O Sullivan said...

nath-yep , thats how I feel, its like finding your way in the dark and it involves a lot of trust and risk and its never how you imagine it may be !